I’m a reader. You know, one of those people with books everywhere — in my office, in my bedroom, in my living room, in my kitchen, in my car, under my couch.
This love of reading inspires me to write. And I’ve read many articles, blogs, books and ideas on how to be a more effective, compelling writer. Much of it is incredibly valuable.
But when you are writing for business, my suggestion is to stick with the basics. Here are a few simple tips that can make your content successful.
- Get to the point quickly.
- Write it, rewrite it, put it aside, and, later, edit again.
- Arouse curiosity. Make it interesting enough to stir your reader to action.
- Keep it conversational and friendly, perhaps told like a story.
- Show respect to your readers. Avoid jargon and acronyms.
- Pack it with genuine truths.
- Use concise language. Whether it’s a press release, article, blog entry, white paper or even an email, don’t try to do too much with one writing piece. If you confuse your readers, you’ve lost their interest.
What are your best writing tips? I’d love to hear them.